This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

A couple more wishlist items

Topics: Feature Requests
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM
Hi!

RuckZuck continues to get better! Here are a couple thoughts for the wishlist:
  1. Option to uninstall previous versions. RuckZuck will find a previous version when a newer
    version is already installed. Another option would be for RuckZuck to look for the latest
    version and it's version before recommending a new version.
  2. When an install says waiting for dependencies please show a list of items needed or being
    worked on. It is unclear if the user needs to do something or just wait for everything to
    complete.
One "error" is when RuckZuck does not wait long enough for items to install. Then it launches
other installers that fail due something already being installed.

Thanks for this great software!

Dave Venus
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for providing feedback !
  1. I think, this should be handled by the setup routine of the software. It's not the job of RuckZuck to fix installation issues made by the SW Vendor. But I also agree that for an end user, this can be confusing... Options to discuss:
    1.1 We fix these Packages in RuckZuck to call an uninstall script as pre-install Task.
    1.2 Right click option to call the uninstall command found in registry (Programs and Features). -> uninstall is not always silent.
    1.3 RuckZuck does hide "old" versions if the latest Version is also installed. -> With the risk that users are no longer aware that an "old" SW is installed...
  2. Good point... would it help to change the text to "installing dependencies" ? and maybe mark the dependencies with a different Color ?
  3. I was not Aware this Issue... As this must be fixed in the Package, I must know which SW Products are not waiting until the end... can you provide some names ? I'v seen Issues when Windows is doing some background Tasks (Installing Updates etc.), so maybe I have to check if an MSI or an update installation is already running...
Regards

Roger
Aug 8, 2016 at 8:39 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2016 at 8:47 PM
Hi! Thanks for the update!
  1. Let me me think on the options and get back to you.

What I find is every time RuckZuck runs it seems to lose track of what is already installed. Maybe I am removing a
    file it uses to track that? Not doing on purpose but I do run several malware scanners, etc. which maybe getting
    the file without me knowing it. If there is such a file please let me know and I will exclude it.

Firefox and MS VCREDIST packages seem to be the worst at not finding that the current version is already
    installed where previous versions are installed too. So of course that always are listed to be reinstalled even
    if already installed.

1.1/1.2 could these be combined to so that the uninstaller in the registry is the default value in the pre-script?
    Also maybe mark the entries that have uninstallers in the registry so that we would know to add the prescript
    or right click to run the one in the registry. For me it is not a big deal if it is silent or not for either uninstall or
    install. Thats why I would love to see local repository where I could put in programs that I use that don't have
    silent installs.
  2. Yes those suggestions are excellent!
  3. I will watch and let you know.
Appreciate your help and willingness to consider suggestions! Keep up the good work!

Do you have a facebook page where I can "like" your software?

Thanks, Dave Venus
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Firefox should aleady uninstall existing Versions (at Lest for Version 4x), it's using the following PreInstall script:
$SW = gci "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" | foreach { gp $_.PSPath } | select UninstallString,DisplayName | where { $_.DisplayName -like "Mozilla Firefox 4?.*" }
$SW | % { start-process $SW.UninstallString -ArgumentList '-ms' -Wait } 
$SW = gci "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" | foreach { gp $_.PSPath } | select UninstallString,DisplayName | where { $_.DisplayName -like "Mozilla Firefox 4?.*" }
$SW | % { start-process $SW.UninstallString -ArgumentList '-ms' -Wait } 
For the VCRedist, we could use something like:
$SW = gci "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" | foreach { gp $_.PSPath } | select UninstallString,DisplayName | where { $_.DisplayName -like "Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - *" }
start-process $SW.UninstallString.Split("/")[0].replace("`"", "") -ArgumentList '/uninstall /quiet' -Wait
... I will do some more tests...
Aug 9, 2016 at 8:49 PM
You are awesome! Thanks for replying! Thanks also for the upgrade!

Is the scripting documented?

Dave

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2016 at 6:50 PM
What do you mean with "Script" ? the API for the PRO Users ? -> No, but the REST-API of the Tool can be used as an example ( https://ruckzuck.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#RuckZuck_Tool/RZRestAPI.cs ). Maybe I will create some PowerShell examples...
Aug 11, 2016 at 2:06 AM
Hi!

Is there a beta release with the changes?

So what I called script appears to be lines of powershell code, is that right? If so 2 or 3 examples would be great. A pre and post would be awesome! I think I need to understand the flow better.

Appreciate all of your kindness and help!

Dave
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM
Have to do some more testing, then it goes public...

You can edit a Package (right click -> edit) and switch the RZ Tool to full Screen mode to see all options:
1) The tool does run the PreRequisite Script: $true = go ahead; false = stop here or try another architecture of the same product
2) Detection Script will check if the SW is already installed: $true = already installed; false = continue
3) Download the Files (URL can also be a PSScript that returns an URL string) if the files do not yet exists.
4) Check File Signature
5) Run PreInstall Script
6) Run Install Script
7) Run PostInstall Script
Aug 12, 2016 at 1:18 AM
Hi!

On the items listed in new software I get the context menu that let's me install, edit, etc. On the list of items to update i get a different context menu. That menu is not as helpful as the first one. I would vote for combining the 2 menus and using it in both places.

Thanks, Dave Venus

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A